Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver site
Format: Audiobook
Voice Actress: Sarah Drew site
Published: 2/01/2011
Publisher: Listening Library
Source: eMedia Library

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Characters:
I really liked that Lena isn’t your typical dystopian heroine. She’s clumsy, awkward, shy, naïve, and always follows the rules. Many of her reactions and emotions throughout the book were very well conveyed and believable. She’s also described as a plain Jane. (But actually described, unlike a certain “book that shall not be named”) Lauren Oliver did a great job at creating a very authentic and human character. Though I wasn’t surprised, having read her debut Before I Fall, which also has a great main character.

Plot:
I liked the flow of Delirium’s plot. It was very well paced, without many time gaps.  And it has plenty of different twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat, and your eyes glued to the pages. And the ending is just mind-blowing!

Writing Style:
Delirium’s your basic first person POV from the point of view of Lena.

Overall:
When I first read Delirium early this year, I was a little skeptical seeing as I am not a fan of romance, and this book is all about forbidden love. This review is based on my recent rereading with the audiobook (sequel coming out soon, so I needed a refresher), and I’m happy to say that I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. I give Delirium 4 stars. It is one of the best dystopians to come out of 2011. 


No comments:

Post a Comment