Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer site
Format: ARC, 387 pages
Release Date: 1/03/2012
Publisher: Feiwel &Friends
Source: ARC received from publisher for review
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge (hosted by The Story Siren)

“Even in the future, the story begins with once upon a time…

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows the Earth’s fate hinges on one girl…

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

In this thrilling young adult debut novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer’s rebooted fairy tale introduces readers to a heroine and a masterfully crafted world that isn’t the Cinderella you remember—but it’s one you won’t forget.”

-Cover

How it starts:
Cinder starts out with lots of ups and downs. Up, Cinder is an extremely gifted mechanic. Down, she is also a cyborg and is considered owned by her not very nice stepmother. Up, the legendary Prince Kai came to her small both in the marketplace to have her fix his droid. Down, her one kind stepsister, Peony, got infected with the deadly plague, letumosis, and it might be Cinder’s fault. Up, Cinder gets the chance to see the prince again. Down, but only because she’s involuntarily in the palace, being the research scientist’s guinea pig. Up, Cinder turns out to be immune to letumosis, and might be able to help find a cure for Peony.

Plot:
All I had to hear about Cinder was that it was Cinderella with cyborgs. But there is a lot more to this story than a simple retelling. There’s a deadly plague going around without an antidote (you know how much I love deadly plagues), and the constant threat of war between an alien race from the moon. I was really glad that this story turned out so original. More and more often I find that retellings just seem to glide around within the pre set plot lines. Marissa Meyer really made Cinder her own. The only fault I found was that I was disappointed that Cinder’s “mysterious past” was pretty easy to guess.

POV:
The main point of view throughout the book is Cinder, with some chapters devoted to other characters points of view such as Prince Kai, and Dr. Erland.

Overall:
I was surprised by how much I liked Cinder. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical after the last few retellings I’d read were less than satisfactory. I loved how original it was and I’m really excited to see where this series goes. I’m giving Cinder 4.5 of 5 stars.


1 comment:

  1. Great review. I loved Cinder too. I can't wait for the next installment.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete