Now, I’m not trying to play comment Nazi. I just thought it’s a good idea to set up some commenting guide lines. I never want to delete a comment. I am a true believer in free speech. However, it seems some comments are just asking for it. Here are some examples of “good” comments and “bad” comments.
Comments that ARE appreciated
· Comments that offer a differing view of opinion. This could include a brief explanation of why you have a differing point of view, and even a link to another post or article that supports your point of view. I love to hear EVERYONES thoughts.
· Comments that add to the conversation, or post. One the greatest things about blogs being viewable to everyone, is that you can communicate with other people you could never talk to before. You can hear about so many great ideas this way!
· Comments with book recommendations. I always welcome book recommendations. How else will I hear about great reads! Some of my favorite books have come from people recommending books to me.
· Comments that offer feedback to a post. I love to hear what my readers like or don’t like about my posts. Without feedback, I can’t improve my posts.
Comments that are NOT appreciated
· Comments intended as free advertizing. No one likes spam in their inbox. Please don’t pollute the comment section with unnecessary links and comments. As mentioned above, I love when others try to share a point of view with a link. But a comment that just says “Come check out my blog” without adding to the conversation is not welcome. I’d love to hear about other reader’s blogs, just be sure not to use the comments section as a billboard.
· Comments used to bully or demean others. Just apply the old adage “treat others as you’d like to be treated”. If you disagree with someone’s point of view, that’s fine. Just be respectful in a reply. Saying someone is “stupid” or “sucks” for their opinion is not acceptable. If you feel strongly about your differing opinion, please write about it. But always be respectful to others. Another useful adage “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
· Comments containing excessive profanity. This blog is viewable by everyone, regardless of age. Just try to keep it clean and professional people.
Don’t let a comment policy make you worried about posting a comment. As I’ve said before, I love comments. As long as you are just trying to share your opinion, you shouldn’t have a problem.