Monday, November 7, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (#5)

Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's Top Ten is...
Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone (or Firsts)



1) Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
This one is about incest. It's probably outside of most peoples comfort zones. To this day, I'm not sure if I liked it or not. 








2) Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser
I read this book when I was twelve. It was the first I'd ever heard of school shootings like Columbine. It also made me a big Todd Strasser fan. I would recommend that everyone read this book.


3) Wings by Aprilynne Pike
This one was out of my comfort zone because it was described as a "kissing book" by the author. I read it because I'd met the author at a book signing, and she was very funny. I thought that would transfer to her writing. Unfortunately, the book ended up being not only a meet-cute but involved a love triangle, two of my least favorite things. It was not meant to be.


4) Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
I had been hesitant to read this one, pretty much because it has vampires in it. I hadn't read any vampire stories since the "Twilight Enlightenment". I ended up really liking this one. The Morganville Vampires made vampires scary, not sparkly, again. 


5) Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters
The first LGBTQ book I'd ever read. I was thirteen when I read it.  Until I read this book, I didn't understand what "gay" was. This book lead me to understanding my own sexuality. Helped me realize that not only wasn't there anything wrong with being gay, but that there wasn't anything wrong with me. It is a very important book to me.


6) Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
This book was definitely out of my comfort zone. I usually try to stay away from anything out right chick lit-y, or that has a TV show on ABC Family. I ended up pleasantly surprised. Except for all the fashion talk, cheating, and sleeping with way too old men, I like this series. (And the show.)


7) Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff
This was the first autobiography, or book about drug use I'd ever read. It is still one of my favorite books. 


8) Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
The first faerie book I'd ever read. The first in the series isn't my favorite, but I do give this series a thumbs up.


9) Beautiful Demons by Sarra Cannon
The first self-published novel I've read. It ended up pretty good. 


10) The Sisters Club by Megan McDonald
This was the first YA book I'd ever read. I think I read it when I was ten. I'd wondered unknowingly into the teen section and picked it up because it had a sock monkey on the cover. I wasn't the best book ever, but it was okay. A little too chick lit-y. 


What was in your Top Ten this week? Be sure to leave a link to your post in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. I have put Forbidden on my list. Such a taboo subject, but the way it's written you forget and then have a reality check. Great book choices there :D

    Jenny - My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete