Saturday, July 14, 2012

Future Release Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu site
Format: eARC, 371 pages
Release Date: 8/07/2012
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press (Macmillan)
Source: Netgalley
Challenges: Ebook Reading Challenge (hosted by Workaday Reads)

“In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.”

Basic Synopsis:
Zoe is glitching. She has broken free of the Community’s brain-washing Link and has started to feel emotions and see in color. Along with developing telekinetic powers. Zoe has to escape and soon, lest she be discovered as a glitcher and deactivated. But she’s not the only glitcher in the Community. When they reveal themselves, Zoe dreams of escape and rebellion. But not all her fellow glitchers plan on leaving. Can they make it out of the Community alive?

Characters:
Zoe is a person waking up and discovering emotions, not to mention telekinetic powers. She has a strong moral compass and wants to save and help everyone no matter the cost to herself. Zoe is a cry baby. She cries and screams in surprise way too much for my taste. It’s understandable for her situation and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. It just annoys the crap out of me. But I could disregard that. I know that I’m picky and I try to put that aside for my reviews. Even if Zoe didn’t cry at the drop of a hat, she like many heroines before is a textbook case of PCD. (Perfect Character Disorder) She’s just too unrealistic and inhuman to be likable for me.  

Plot and Story:
This review took a lot more thought than usual. I knew when I’d finished that I wouldn’t read a sequel, and that I didn’t care for the book. The tricky part of writing this review was figuring out why. I’ve come to the conclusion that there are two reasons. Firstly, Glitch isn’t very original. It feels like bits and pieces of other books and movies slapped together in a hardcover. The book makes sense, and there is a plot. I’m not saying that it was a mindless read, but it’s in no way fresh and new. The second reason is in a way the cause of the first; I found the book utterly forgettable. It just slid right off my brain as though it were coated in oil. I don’t entirely know why, but it just isn’t a memorable read.

Overall:
I love science fiction in YA, but I’m sorry to say that Glitch didn’t wow me. I give it 2 of 5 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment